A popular savoury of all times is cakes. With or without icing, cakes splurge a flavour, which tingles the taste buds creating a space for more and more. Such is the importance of cakes, that there is perhaps no occasion which is complete without the ‘cutting the cake’ ceremony. It is an apt gift for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, Valentine’s Day or New Year’s Eve. While gifting cakes in person is desirable, one can also send cakes by post in UK. Young or old, there is perhaps no one who can ignore this delicacy.
Here are some fun facts about cakes which will surely ingrain your interest in this favorite delicacy of all times. Read on to know about them.
- In the ancient days, separate cake was prepared for the groom and the bride. Each one was supposed to cut and eat their individual cake only which was the tradition. Slowly, the concept of cutting the cake together crept in when a couple desired to do the same.
- Queen Victoria started the trend of white icing wedding cake. It is said that in those times, the price of sugar was really very high and the one possessing sugar was considered as a man of high stature. In the 17th Century, Queen Victoria married Prince Albert and wanted a grand celebration. She insisted on cutting a cake and sharing it amongst his friends as a symbol of sharing her special moment. A special cake was designed for her, which was covered in pure white icing. The icing consisted of egg whites, lemon and lots of sugar. Since, that time white icing started to be known as royal icing and the trend still continues till today.
- Tiered cakes came into vogue somewhere in the medieval times. There is an interesting story behind it. It all started as a game for the bride and the groom, wherein guests would pile up bread, biscuits and other forms of bread to a pile and the couple was supposed to kiss each other over the entire pile. If they were successful in doing so, they would lead a happy and prosperous life. Slowly, the cake was built up in the form of pile using support mechanism and the concept of tiered cakes came into presence.
- Tiered cakes are quite popular but in 2013 in Chester, England reported the world’s biggest and tallest tier cake which was studded with about 4000 diamonds as a symbol of royalty.
- Adorable Cake toppers, which are quite famous these days, have a background story attached to it. In the 1950’s age, a daughter once requested her father, who was a baker by profession, to create a symbol of love for his beloved. The father thought a lot and finally put his expertise skill by creating a couple toppers that stood at the top of the cake. The daughter loved this concept and since then cake toppers have become a thing.
These facts about cake are truly enticing and further deepen our love for the yummy and lip smacking cakes.