The egg is one of the basic ingredients in baking. When we are baking cookies, cakes, breads, sponges or any other thing, eggs are always there in the ingredients list. The egg is not good for all. When we have to make things for vegetarians or those who are allergic to eggs we have to find some other way around. These substitutes will help you to make a cake and get the cakes delivered to the vegetarians on their special day.
These 3 ways will help you to substitute eggs in baking without compromising on taste and baking results.
The egg is a binder or a moisturizer. It is easy to replace eggs with pure fruit in the recipes which used one or two eggs. Pureed fruit is also a great binder and moisturizer, thus it will help with baking without affecting the results.
Good Pureed Fruits are:
· Mashed bananas
· Apple sauce
· Puréed prunes,
· Plumped raisins
· Softened dates
How to use Pureed Fruit?
- Use three teaspoons of pureed fruit to replace one egg. Increase liquid in the recipe up to one tablespoon.
- Increase cooking time 20-25% more for good results.
- Substitute egg with pureed fruit in the recipe which will complement with the taste rather than detract from the flavor.
Suitable for: Cakes, breads and brownies.
Vinegar & Baking Soda:
The eggs give fluffy texture to baking. Vinegar has a similar effect. Vinegar helps to create fluffy and light texture in cakes.
· White vinegar
· Apple cider Vinegar
How to use Vinegar & Baking Soda?
· Use vinegar in the recipes which have not more than two eggs.
· Add one tablespoon of baking soda in one tablespoon of vinegar along with one tablespoon of water.
Suitable for: cakes, muffin and cupcakes.
Buttermilk and yogurt are one of a great ingredient in baking. They give cakes and muffins good taste and texture. They help in raising the cakes.
How to use Buttermilk or Yogurt?
- The best substitute for raising cakes would be butter, milk or thinned yogurt. Replace baking powder with 1/4 as much baking soda.
Suitable For: Cookies, Bars, Flat Breads