For someone on a tight budget, the cost of $8 per slice of wedding cake may sound shocking. But what to do if you don’t have any expert bakers in your family? This is the opportunity for you to decide on making the cake yourself. Making a wedding cake is not such a difficult task as you presume.
All you have to do is to follow some steps. If you fail, you can always order cakes delivered in UK at the last minute.
RECIPE FOR LEMON MERINGUE TOWER
- Giant cupcake tin
- Two x 12 hole muffin tins
- Two 15 cm sandwich tins
- Sugar thermometer
For lemon curd:
- Zest and juice of 12 lemons
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 8 eggs
- 900 gm caster sugar
- 240 gm cubes of butter
- 300 gm chilled butter
- 675 gm flour
- 75 gm caster sugar
- 125 ml water
- 3 egg yolks
For lemon cake:
- 3 eggs
- 175 gm caster sugar
- 175 gm butter
- 150 gm flour
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
For meringue topping:
- 850 gm caster sugar
- 15 egg whites
- 300 ml water
- To make the lemon curd, add some lime juice to corn flour, and make a fine paste.
The eggs must now be whisked in a pan over medium heat. Add sugar, butter, cornflour paste, and lemon zest and lemon juice. Cook till the mix becomes custard. Remove and keep away to cool.
- Heat oven to 325 degree F. Prepare the cup cake tin by greasing and flouring.
For the pastry, combine sugar, butter and flour in a blender. Add sufficient water and egg yolks till pastry forms a ball.
- Knead the pastry out till smooth and refrigerate for half an hour.
Use one quarter of pastry to line the cupcake tin. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. And then, cover with grease proof paper. Bake for an extra 15 minutes.
Roll away the remaining pastry and line two muffin tins. Cool in fridge for 20 minutes, and cover with grease proof paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove greaseproof paper and bake for 3 minutes.
Next comes the lemon cake. Grease and flour two sandwich tins. In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar, and beat in eggs one after another till well blended. Add lemon zest, juice and flour.
- Spread mix in tins and bake for 12-15 minutes till cakes are golden brown.
- Remove cakes, and allow cooling.
- Next is the meringue topping. Whisk egg whites till they form soft peaks.
- Heat sugar in water till it reaches 121 C. Combine sugar syrup and egg whites till whisks are blended.
- To assemble the cakes, trim lemon cakes so that they can fit inside pastry cup cake base.
At the pastry case’s bottom, keep a layer of sponge and fill it with a spoon of lemon curd. Repeat with other cake and finally spoons or pipe on the meringue mixture.
- The lemon curd can be spooned into each of the pastry cases and covered by meringue on top.
- Place on a cake stand, the lemon meringue tarts, and the largest cupcake at the top.