Originated from UK, this small plaid cake is truly scrumptious. This light sponge cake is also called as the Checkerboard Cake in USA. This sweet treat is filled with marzipan, almonds and much more. Read on to know how to make this cake…
Things you need:
For the almond sponge cake –
- ¾ cup of butter
- 175 grams of caster sugar
- 140 grams of flour
- 50 grams of ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence or extract
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
For the pink sponge cake-
All the ingredients used for the almond sponge cake with pink food colouring
For the finishing-
- 200 grams of apricot jam (make sure the jam is fresh)
- 1000 grams blocks of white marzipan
- Icing sugar for dusting
Steps to create the cake ->
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Use a 20 cm square baking pan to make the sponge cakes. Line them with baking parchment or grease it with butter on the base and sides.
3. Start with the almond sponge cake first. Put the butter, flour, sugar, almonds, eggs, baking powder, vanilla and almond extracts in a large container. Beat this mix with an electric whisk until it is smooth and blended well.
4. Put this mix into the baking tin and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Leave it aside to cool.
5. Now move on to the other sponge cake. Mix all the mentioned ingredients above but skip the almond extract and instead put in pink food colouring.
6. Put the mixture in the other baking pan and like before, cook it for 25 to 30 minutes and leave it to cool.
7. To assemble these sponge cakes, you need to make the finishing product. For that, heat the apricot jam in a pan until it is runny and then sieve.
8. Cut out small squares of the almond cut and with the help of a ruler, cut out 4 slices each of the other cake too. Discard the leftover sponge cake pieces or you could keep them for eating it with tea.
9. Now, roll out one marzipan block on a cooking board with lightly dusted sugar, and then, roll it lengthways until the marzipan is thick. Brush it with the jam and then lay the almond and pink sponge cake side by side at one end of the marzipan. Brush the jam in between the sponges so that it sticks well. To stick everything together, you need to keep brushing jam well. Once you have a plaid ready, cover it with marzipan to lock it on every side. Stick the marzipan well otherwise the cake will get ruined.
10. Be gentle during the process. Once you have all the plaids of the sponge, store this cake in an airtight box.
It might seem like a challenge to make this cake but the finishing is the only delicate step. If you are careful about it, then you will have a beautiful Battenberg cake! Make this dish and use the cakes online delivery service to send it across.