We love munching on cakes and some people simple love baking it. While you are planning to send someone cakes by post in UK, which are homemade, make sure you pick their favourite one. Though we are fans of cakes, yet the rainbow cake can be quite a wreck to prepare. For that, we have the entire recipe with details for you to make the perfect rainbow cake.
First of all, be prepared to spend sometime in the kitchen. This might not take forever, but it will take a while to get everything done since this might be your first time baking this cake. It takes about 2 hours for the preparation and 1 hour to cook and serves about 8 people.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 125g butter, softened
- 225g plain flour
- 150g sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- An edible food colouring – red, orange, yellow, green, blue and pink or purple.
For the icing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 x 250g tubs cream cheese or mascarpone
- 350g icing sugar
Instructions to cook:
The important thing you need to know is, you have to prepare 6 different sponge cakes first and then start with the rest. Read on to know the instructions to bake this colourful and tasty cake…
- First and foremost, preheat the oven at 180 degree C. Then grease your baking tins and line the bases with baking parchment. Put all the ingredients, apart from the food colouring, into a container then beat with an electric whisk until it is smooth.
- Weigh the mix into another vessel to even out the weight. Take 2 of your colours and stir a little into each mix. Keep going until you are happy with the colour. Remember the colour of the batter will be very similar to the finished cake. Fix the different batters into the tins and spread it evenly. Bake on the same oven shelf for 12 minutes.
- Gently turn the cakes out to bring them to cool. Check with a toothpick if the sponge is smooth and baked well. Wash the tins and bowls thoroughly and start again from step 1. Just this time using another 2 colours. Keep doing this until you have 6 different colours.
- To make the icing of the rainbow cake, slowly beat the vanilla and cream cheese with a whisk until the texture is smooth. Put in theicing sugar and gently keep mixing it.
Smudge a little icing on your cake plate or container. Start with the red and then spread some of the icing right to the edge. Repeat the step and start sandwiching on top with the rest of the colours you baked like, orange, yellow, green, blue and finally purple sponge cake. Spread the remaining icing thickly all over the sides and top of the cake. And your cake is ready!
Try it yourself to know how delicious this creamy colourful cake is!