Sponge cakes are airy, light cakes, which are leavened with separately beaten egg whites and yolks. They do not contain fats while chiffon cakes use oil.
There a variety of sponge cakes and here are some of them:
- Chocolate sponge cakes: It is a sponge cake made using half dozen eggs, cake flour, sugar, cocoa and other ingredients. Top this dessert with a fluffy frosting or simple glaze.
- Hot milk sponge cake: Its recipe contains hot milk, flour, lemon juice and sugar.
- Tropical chiffon cake: It is an orange chiffon cake containing orange juice, coconut, orange peel among other ingredients. It is a delicious sponge cake recipe.
- Raspberry Jelly Roll: Fill this jelly recipe with favourite jelly, jams or preserves. It is an old fashioned jelly roll recipe.
- Sponge cake mocha cream dessert: Sponge cake dessert cups are frosted, then coated with chopped nuts and filled with Mocha cream.
- Sponge cake with Fruit and whipped cream: Sponge cake is baked and then topped with whipped cream, as well as orange and grape sections.
- Sponge cake roll: This sponge cake roll can be filled with ice cream or cream or any of your favourite fillings.
- Hope’s divine pineapple roll: A sponge cake roll filled with an out of the world filling of brown sugar, coconut, crushed pineapple and spices.
- Pineapple sponge cake: This contains pineapple juice, fluffy white frosting and egg whites.
- Golden sponge cake: It is made with grated orange or lemon peel, vanilla, egg whites and yolks.
- Citrus sponge cake: This cake is flavoured with a little lemon or orange zest. They also contain eggs.
Here is a recipe for a Bakewell Cherry Sponge cake:
- Butter-200 gm
- Ground almonds- 100 gm
- Golden caster sugar-200 gm
- Self raising flour-100 gm
- Baking pwder-1 tsp
- Almond essence or extract: ½ tsp
For Topping or Filling:
- Cherry conserve- ½ a 340 gm jar
- Icing sugar-175 gm
- Lemon juice- 5-6 tsp
- Flaked, toasted almonds-1 tbsp
- Heat oven to 180 C. Line and butter bases of 2x20cm round sandwich tins with baking paper.
- Beat all ingredients of cake with electric beater with a pinch of salt till smooth. Spoon the batter into tins and make a level of the top. Do baking for 30 minutes till springy and golden. Keep in oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool the sponges and empty on a wire rack. Cool well.
- Now keep one sponge cake in a plate and cover with jam filling. Sandwich the second sponge on top.
- Sieve icing sugar into a bowl. Add lime juice and stir till smooth and thick. Apply on top of cake evenly and let it dribble to the sides. Scatter with nuts and leave to set a few minutes before serving.
This Bakewell sponge cake uses a traditional, simple recipe for a sponge cake rather than a frangipane. It is a delicious treat for the whole family.